Photo: Jennifer Walker
Scared about science? Reluctant to write? My teaching and consulting shows students of all ages how to conquer their fears and write awesome things.
I run science and writing workshops for students ranging from elementary school to retirement age. My home base is Algonquin College, where I regularly teach technical writing to students in the trades. Notable other clients include:
- The University of Ottawa’s Professional Development Institute
- Ottawa’s Performance Management Consultants
- The University of North Dakota’s space studies department (also my alma mater)
- Carleton University’s journalism department (also my alma mater)
- The University of Ottawa’s communications department
- La Cité collégiale’s journalism and English as a second language programs.
- Private consultations
Topics I cover:
- Technical writing for beginning to advanced students
- How to get over your fear of writing
- How to write about topics you enjoy
- How to organize yourself for professional success
- Space exploration history and current affairs
Notable media appearances:
- CBC-TV’s flagship science show, “The Nature of Things”
- On stage with science personality Bill Nye
- Several science journalism panels at DragonCon
- The BBC, Al Jazeera, the Huffington Post, CBC Radio, CBC Television and CTV Television.